Friday, July 31, 2009

Frugal Living Friday: Summer Fun and Organization

Welcome to Frugal Living Friday! Each week I will feature a tip that can help us stretch our budget and live more frugally! If you have a tip that you want shared on Frugal Living Friday, let me know and you could become a guest blogger for a day.

Today's Frugal Living Friday is a guest post from Holly over at 2 Kids and Tired. Holly is a devoted and creative mother to her two boys in addition to being a talented writer and businesswoman. Today Holly shares some good summer organization tips and fun frugal ideas. Visit Holly at 2 Kids and Tired for bits of inspirational wisdom and more fun ideas.

It's summer time. Kids are home all day. Life is a bit more unstructured. You might sleep in, you might stay up later. What are you doing this summer to make your life easier and your summer more enjoyable? How are you staying sane? Any fun plans?

Last year I learned about the Snack Box. I love the Snack Box. I fill it each morning and it contains all the snacks for the day. When they're gone, they're gone. The pantry is locked and no longer gets raided all day long. My boys are also eating more fruits, vegetables and cheese, because those things aren't in the Snack Box, and there's not as much limit.

This year I learned about the "no friends until after lunch time" rule. My friend does this with her kids and I love the idea. The morning is then spent a bit more quietly: my kids each have a couple of jobs to do, we do some reading, J is going to summer school, whatever. There is some flexibility, but the main thing is that I don't have a myriad of children running through my house ALL DAY long. In the afternoons, they play with friends, we've been going to the pool, and on Thursdays we're doing the library thing again. I renewed our zoo pass and am considering an annual pass for one or two other attractions.

We've also dug for fossils in the front yard.

Made a T-rex out of a box and brads.


Made yummy ice cream. And conducted a science experiment to make crystals.
What have you done? What new summer secrets can you share?

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I'm not sure about the talented and creative part, but thanks for the kind words Marne!

Unknown said...

The snack canister is such a great idea. I have 4 kids from 8-1 and all they want are snacks! I am going to try this out! I push fruit too! I would love to know if that is actually your snack canister and if so where did you get it? It's really cute!

Marne said...

Melissa,
I beleive Holly told me she got the snack canister at Walmart last year. I haven't been able to find it myself so I think I will get my own container and label it either with stickers or rub-on letters (both things I already have in my scrapbook supplies). Let us know what you end up doing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails