Friday, November 20, 2009

Frugal Living Friday: Used Item Swap

Welcome to Frugal Living Friday! Each week I will feature a tip that can help us stretch our budget and live more frugally! If you have a tip that you want shared on Frugal Living Friday, let me know and you could become a guest blogger for a day.

Let's face it: money is tight right now for many people across the country. The stress on many people's shoulders for financially supporting a family is overwhelming. Costs for everything is so high...clothes, toys, food, education, etc. I feel overwhelmed many times too with how to make sure we can stay ahead somehow.

Here is one idea I wanted to share with you that may help. Maybe you have done this before but if not.....consider putting a swap together! A swap where you bring unwanted items to share with others and in return you can take another's unwanted items. And it's all free.

We did this at my church last week and are doing it again this weekend on a stake level. It's such a great way to help others. Participants coming bring things they don't need or want anymore: books, clothes, toys, home decor, shoes, etc. Just make sure it is in usable condition...no junk. Everyone puts their items on tables. Then you can go "shopping" and take whatever you need. Awesome, huh!

It's a win-win: clutter is cleared out of homes and people get some things they need at no cost. It is a good way to recycle things and help those in your community.

Have you participated in a swap before?
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Chels said...

I have been to a big clothing swap twice. Just this week it was on my mind to ask other ladies in my church if they were interested in a toy/clothes swap! I think it's a fab idea, especially since so many people are out of jobs and you may not now who it will help at this time of year. Many people keep their 'secrets' and are afraid to ask for help.

chelsea mckell said...

My ward here in Cedar City just did our first a couple weeks ago. It was amazing - we had a HUGE turnout. Sooooo many donations - and such great quality stuff! It was so great to see my unneeded belongings go to someone who wanted them, and to take other's unwanted items.... all for FREE! I got some great stuff, and so did everyone else! We're going to do it again in April - but at the stake center this time.... we need more space! I'll probably be in charge... the girl that was in charge of this past one got a little overwhelmed :) I got the idea to do this from my friend Summer in Provo. She put on several huge ones that were just awesome. She called it "Gifts of the Heart Exchange"

Related Posts with Thumbnails