Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Food Storage Tip

If you are like me you try to have some cooking basics on hand. It's hard to make frugal meals or meal plan if you have nothing in the pantry. Additionally, I keep extra basics on hand for emergency purposes.


So....canola oil! It is my oil of choice. Did you know that there are things you can do to make your oil last longer? Yes, there are!

1. Keep your oil in a cool place. Most olive oils and canola oils will stay good for around 7-9 months after opening if kept tightly closed and in regulated temperatures. A few times I have had oil go rancid before the expiration date. But that is rare.

2. If at all possible, keep your oil away from light. Keeping it in a cupboard with a door, or even covering it with cloth if it is on an open shelf will help.

If your oil is rancid (smells bad and has an awful taste), don't cook with it. I know you can make soap with rancid oil but I haven't tried my hand at that. Any tips from you?
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails