Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What won't I pay for?

There are a handful of things that I refuse to pay for. Over the years I have gotten these items free or even gotten overage on them (meaning I came out ahead after I bought them). Most often I got these items with rebates, clearance sales combined with coupons, and combining rebates with sale prices and coupons:

toothbrushes
toothpaste
disposable razors
shampoo/conditioner
body wash
deodorant
lotion
cold medicine
magazine subscriptions

Some of those items I will pay for (like shampoo or conditioner), but no more than .25 cents or so. I know I can stock up for cheaper so I wait for a better deal. All of these items I have more than a one year supply of so I won't pay for them right now...only sales tax!

Other items I won't pay very much for:

pantyliners
kids shampoo
bars of soap
floss
wipes
Ziploc baggies
bandaids
first aid supplies
medicine
cereal
granola bars
oatmeal
toilet paper
tin foil

Over the years I have seen a cycle with sales. Granted, much has changed the past year with the economy so it's not as predictable as it used to be. I used to be able to get cereal for literally .30 cents a box after sale prices and coupons. That would almost never happen now, so when I say I won't pay more than $1 for something it kind of just depends on whether or not it will ever go cheaper.

I have also noticed the cycle of coupons that come available. Like Colgate coupons for example. They come out on a regular basis. So you know when the ones you have are about to expire you will be seeing some new ones. It is also pretty guaranteed that when I new product comes out on the market, a free sample will be offered and many times a sale/rebate on that item at drugstores like Walgreens, Rite Aid or CVS. So watch for that too.

Sometimes I run out of something and I have to pay for it...which KILLS me. But that doesn't happen very often so it really doesn't dent my budget too badly. :) Just stock up on those great sales and you are set. It helps to not be too brand-loyal...be willing to try another brand if you can get it for free or almost free. You might find you like it!

What won't you pay for? Maybe I missed something on my list.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails