Friday, November 21, 2008

Frugal Living Friday: Recycling Pumpkins!

Welcome to Frugal Living Friday! Each week I will feature a tip that can help us stretch our budget and live more frugally! If you have a tip that you want shared on Frugal Living Friday, let me know and you could become a guest blogger for a day.

My sister-in-law Tami reminded me about something we all can do that is easy and frugal: recycle those pumpkins! Don't let them rot on your porch....cook them and save the puree in your freezer for cooking throughout the winter. You would be surprise how much puree you can get from one pumpkin. I still have 5 pumpkins on my porch to cook.

If you have never cooked a pumpkin before, here is how I do it. Really easy. I should have taken pictures, but I didn't think about it...sorry! Take your pumpkin and slice it up so it's in medium sized pieces. With a small pumpkin I cut it into fourths. Then lay the slices skin side up on a large cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour, or until the pumpkin middle is soft. Remove from the oven and let cool. Turn the slices over, scrape out the innards (save the seeds too if you want for roasting). The skin should easily peel off. Put the pumpkin into a food processor or blender to puree. That's it! Package into airtight containers or Ziploc bags to freeze. Don't forget to label them.

There will be no Frugal Living Friday next week. We will see you in December!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails