Friday, August 8, 2008

Patience is a virtue

One of the best qualities you can have when it comes to deals, bargain shopping or couponing is patience. You won't get anywhere if you don't have patience. Many times the best deal comes from waiting, watching, or planning. Many people don't want to do that so they just up and buy it. They don't know what they are missing!

For example, I always have an ongoing list of things that I want or need, whether big or small, cheap or expensive. Part of that list are things that I know I could find at a garage sale for a fraction of the price. After a few months of garage saleing and I still haven't found it, I can look elsewhere. A few years ago I dropped my beloved Pampered Chef chopper and it broke, although it was still usable. I kept on using it for several months until I garage saled for a bit...didn't find one, so I ended up getting one on Ebay for a good price. Over the past several years, I have been able to purchase most of the newest things on the market (food, cleaning, hygine) for free or almost free just by waiting and planning. I think it is worth it!

Whenever a new product is introduced, whether it be home cleaning supplies, personal hygiene items, or food, free samples are almost always offered. Almost 100% of the time. There are always either high value coupons and/or rebate programs distributed for these items as well. When the Schick Intuition razor came out about 4 years ago, these offers were all over the place. Rebates from several stores, coupons everywhere....I think I got about 5 free razors. Take the time to wait, see what coupons are coming out and if stores like Walgreens or Rite Aid are offering rebates to sweeten the deal. You would be surprised at what offers come up sometimes.

Don't forget about checking Craigslist or your local Freecycle group for items you need as well. I have gotten so many free or cheap things from both of these places that I have saved a ton of money I would have otherwise had to spend. Last spring we really wanted a picnic table for our backyard, but I was not willing to spend $100+ for a brand new one. We kept looking on Craigslist and put a want ad on Freecycle. A little while later we found one on Craigslist for $30. With a new coat of neutral paint (that we already had) it was as good as new and for a fraction of the cost!

When your kids want toys, don't go to Toys R Us and buy it for them, take them to garage sales or thrift stores! My 7 1/2 year old has already figured out how many more books he can get with a few dollars at garage sales compared to the school book orders. It is a good way to teach them how money works, and they get the most bang for their buck! All of my kids love going to garage sales. It is a fun game to see how many items they can buy with only $1. Usually it is quite a few. Spending their own money this way is rewarding and fun! Plus it also teaches them they don't always need the newest & greatest thing out there.

As you can see, having patience with finding deals is important. Don't under-estimate the value of waiting!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails